Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Book Miner - Marvel's The Emerald City of Oz by Eric Shanower

q[Editor’s Note: Since this is reviewing a graphic novel that is an adaptation of a popular book, I will refrain from discussing the plot synopsis, as it would be redundant]
In which I review The Emerald City of Oz, adapted by Eric Shanower and illustrated by Skottie Young, based on the book by L. Frank Baum.

Overview

In Marvel’s The Emerald City of Oz, we have the last volume of Oz adaptations in this series. Since this series began, it has delighted me, and I have dutifully waited for the hardcover to come out for each volume.
I did not realize that this would be the last volume until I got to the last page. While it makes sense to end this venture on The Emerald City of Oz (wherein Glinda cuts off all Oz’s ties with the outside universe), I was disappointed at the reality of not seeing The Patchwork Girl of Oz and the other “Famous Fourteen.” I also was disappointed that we’d not see Trot and Cap’n Bill make their Oz debut (and disappointed that I couldn’t petition for Trot and Cap’n Bill adaptations as well). But, like Theodore Geisel said: “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
That being said, I will definitely feel a pinch in my emotions when, nine months from now, there won’t be another Shanower/Young Oz book.

A neat thing to note is that the hardcover edition includes a free digital copy. I haven't yet tried to redeem mine, but I hope it's as painless as other more recent Disney digital copy redemptions (for the record, the original "Digital Copy" disc for Wall-E was the biggest pain of my life of digital copies).

Analysis

Comparing the art to this volume to that of the original, it still bears a striking similarity to the original Wattersonesque illustrations of Young. However, it has evolved. It’s not quite so rough around the edges, and the roughness that remains provides more aesthetic value than otherwise. However, it is noticeable. But this wasn’t the first thing I noticed when I finally got this book in my hands.
It was the thickness. While other volumes of this series were eight issues, this one was only five. This disappointed me, as not only was it my last chance to spend time with these iterations of the beloved characters, but it was three issues short of what I was expecting it to be. While I’m sure that there were Important Reasons for this, I do feel the plot was rushed to accommodate this condensed medium.
Beyond that, I loved the illustrations and the depictions of the characters and peoples introduced in this volume. I particularly enjoyed Guph’s portrayal, as a sort of pekingese Lorax. Shortly after reading this book, I watched the Cinar adaptation of the same book. Talk about night and day.
All in all, past the disappointments, I am pleased to include this volume among my series. In a way, it’s comforting to have one less thing to collect. Though, as much as I dislike Shanower’s illustrations[1] (not Young’s, mind you), I am considering strongly collecting his additional Oz works, ‘cause let’s face it, I’m a fan of Oz.
But if Marvel does decide to continue this series, as well as other great Baum classics[2], I’ll be there ready to buy ‘em, especially if they’re up there with the Shanower/Young series.

[1] Shanower’s illustrations are too “Prince Valiant” for my liking. I suppose I could get over it to read a few more Oz books.
[2] Please, oh, please let there be The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus.

No comments: