Monday, August 4, 2014

Book Miner - The Shapeshifters' Library: Released by Amber Polo - Chapter 9

qChapter 9 is next in The Shapeshifters’ Library: Released by Amber Polo.

Synopsis

Cutter meets a local homeless woman who used to work for the library. Further, she waxes on why she hasn’t found true love, going on to describe her ideal man.
She finds the werewolf book club ladies harassing children, and has McCasson evict them. Meeting up with Lite, she gets a copy of Alice in Wonderland, only for it to bring up sad memories of her mother, for this was the last book she read to Cutter.
She discusses her parents with Chronus, indicating that both lived much more interesting lives than your typical library employee, with much of what they did shrouded in mystery.

Analysis

I suppose we can start with the interesting lives of librarians. This is the premise of one of my favorite book series, A Series of Unfortunate Events, where a bunch of noble librarians who have unusually interesting lives battle a group of book burners led by an unusually hairy individual, all of whom originate from the same group. I understand that book readers versus book burners is a common trope among books by and about those who appreciate literature, yet at the same time, if you remind me of something I like but fall far short from being just as amazing, you’re not going to hold my interest.
Once again, why Cutter doesn’t realize why the werewolf book club group are evil is beyond me. It’s way too suspicious, if you ask me.
Further, I’m amused by the fact that Cutter’s “ideal man” is basically Chronus. Let’s see where that goes. As long he’s not secretly her estranged father, it’ll probably work out well. The discussion of The Shaggy Dog could hint at either of these cases.
Once again, Polo uses Dewey-speak. Let’s analyze it:

Number
Polo
Dewey.info
363.5
homeless
housing
636.71
female dog (yeah, really)
breeds of dog
This does get annoying, especially when it’s off the mark like this.
And so is the fact that a number system is “under copyright.” Last I checked, the definitions of Dewey Decimal System, while in some ways “proprietary” shouldn’t be protected by copyright. Isn’t the point of a system like this meant to propagate information? Doesn’t putting it behind a paywall defeat that purpose?
I end my rant.

No comments: